Topic Working at BaFin Working at BaFin
BaFin is an attractive employer who can offer you exciting, challenging responsibilities that often have an international dimension. BaFin also offers job security and an attractive work-life balance. BaFin strives to create a family-friendly working environment by making it easier for its staff to combine professional and family life to the extent permitted by the law and its own operating environment. For example, BaFin offers tailored part-time working arrangements, a modern flexitime agreement and a telecommuting job quota.
On this page:
- Who we are
- BaFin's responsibilities
- How to start your career with BaFin
- Continuing professional development (CPD)
Who we are
The Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) supervises credit institutions, insurance undertakings, financial services institutions and asset management companies (Kapitalanlagegesellschaften). BaFin also represents German interests in the EU and other international organisations. BaFin is a Federal institution governed by public law. It is subject to legal and technical supervision by the Federal Ministry of Finance. BaFin has offices in Bonn and Frankfurt am Main and employs a total of 2,711 staff (as at 01 January 2018). It is funded entirely by fees and contributions paid by the institutions and companies it supervises and receives no funding from the Federal budget.
Our responsibilities are to ensure
- that the German financial system continues to function properly and remains competitive and stable and that its integrity is preserved;
- that the trust of investors and insurance policyholders in this system is maintained;
- that market operators conduct themselves fairly;
How to start your career with BaFin
BaFin offers you a range of different recruitment options, in particular direct recruitment, a twin-track degree program with alternating work and study terms (Duales Studium), and vocational training.
We regularly seek graduates and other candidates with relevant professional experience to work in our technical supervision functions and our cross-sectoral departments. The German civil service is divided into several career tracks. Depending on the type of degree they hold, new recruits are appointed to the “upper intermediate civil service” or the “higher civil service”. Graduates with a “Diplom” degree (first degree MA equivalent) from a university or an (accredited) MA/MSc degree start their career in the “higher civil service”. Candidates with a “Diplom” degree (first degree MA equivalent) from a university of applied sciences or an (accredited) BA/BSc degree are appointed to the “upper intermediate civil service” career track.
Degree subjects for direct recruitment
BaFin recruits in particular graduates with the following degrees for “higher civil service” positions:
- Economics, finance and business graduates with e.g. university “Diplom” degrees or (accredited) MA/MSc/MBA degrees
- Graduates with university “Diplom” degrees or (accredited) MA/MSc degrees in mathematics, financial mathematics and related subjects
- Fully qualified lawyers
- Graduates with university “Diplom” degrees or (accredited) MA/MSc degrees in IT, business IT and related subjects
BaFin recruits the following graduates for “upper intermediate civil service” positions:
- Economics, finance and business graduates with e.g. university of applied sciences “Diplom-Betriebswirt/in” or “Diplom-Kaufleute” degrees, or (accredited) BA/BSc/BBA degrees
- Graduates with university of applied science “Diplom-Verwaltungswirt/in” administration degrees or equivalent BA/BSc degrees
- Graduates with university of applied science “Diplom” degrees or (accredited) BA/BSc degrees in IT, business IT and related subjects
- Graduates with university of applied science “Diplom” degrees or (accredited) BA/BSc degrees in mathematics, financial mathematics and related subjects
Twin-track BSc business management degree in central banking
BaFin offers a twin-track BSc business management degree in central banking in which students complete a three-year course with alternating work and study terms at the Deutsche Bundesbank’s University of Applied Sciences in Hachenburg together with candidates from the Bundesbank. BaFin holds a competition each year to select students for this degree course. Candidates must have at least a school leaving exam qualifying them to study at a university of applied sciences (“Fachhochschulreife”). Admission to the course is on 1 April and 1 October each year, and BaFin students receive a candidate salary for the duration of their studies.
Vocational training at BaFin
BaFin regularly offers vocational training culminating in the following recognised vocational qualifications: "Verwaltungsfachangestellte/r, auch mit Doppelqualifikation" (administrative specialist, with the option of earning an entrance qualification for universities of applied sciences), "Kauffrauen / Kaufmänner für Büromanagement" (office management specialist), "Fachinformatiker/-innen für Systemintegration" (IT specialist for system integration) and "Fachangestellte für Medien- und Informationsdienste, Fachrichtung Bibliothek" (media and information services specialist with a focus on library services management). There are currently 43 candidates for entry to the upper intermediate civil service and other apprentices working at BaFin (as at 01 January 2018).
Continuing professional development (CPD)
BaFin attaches great importance to an extensive CPD offering for its employees. In 2017, BaFin employees took part in a total of 656 CPD events. The total number of attendances at such events was 4,029. On average, each BaFin employee attended a CPD session on 3.0 days in 2017.
Whether for beginners, advanced learners or experts: BaFin offers a wide range to strengthen expertise and soft skills. Specific requirements of individual divisions are taken into account as well as overarching topics. Training co-operations, in particular with the German Bundesbank, ECB and European supervisory authorities (EBA, EIOPA and ESMA), strengthen cooperation and international networking.